Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Just a little update today. Life is good but very busy. I feel completely worn out today! Alexis and Spencer have been sick this week--I hope the rest of us don't get it! The kids have been really great lately and I've found myself often thinking how grateful I am for them and for Jordan. By the way, Jordan finally got his promotion last week--HURRAY! He's a director now and still learning a ton and doing a great job in the real estate finance dept. at Wal-Mart.

Alexis started piano lessons a couple weeks ago. It's kind of been a struggle because it's not as easy for her as school has been so she actually has to work at it. She gets frustrated very quickly when she can't play a new song perfectly the first time or she doesn't understand something and then she wants to quit, at least for the moment. I hope it gets better because I really want her to learn to play and I'm not going to let her quit!

Spencer has been such a sweetheart lately, reminding me how glad I am that we made it through those tough couple of years with him. He was such a stinker sometimes--getting into everything he wasn't supposed to, drawing with black permanent marker on the white cabinets, deliberately defying me while I was looking right at him! He's not perfect, but he's soooo much better, and he's so sweet with Trista. I love to watch him play with her and help her and take care of her. He's such a good big brother! Spencer's funny quote of the week is, "Dad, can I get a credit card? I want a credit card. I reeeaaally need a credit card! I love credit cards!" (Does he even know what a credit card is?)

Dallin keeps me laughing, except when he makes me want to cry every night at dinner because it's such a struggle to get him to eat. He still hates "grown up" food and wants kids stuff (chicken nuggets, ramen noodles, hot dogs, etc.) for every meal. We have to monitor every bite of food and are always waiting for the very loud gagging sound he makes just before spitting his food back out half the time. Will this ever end? He does have a lot of redeeming qualities though. He's very righteous. He wants to say the blessing at every meal, and Jordan has been talking to the kids about praying every morning right when they get out of bed. The other morning at breakfast I asked the kids if they prayed when they woke up. Dallin burst into tears because he had forgotten. He was sobbing, totally distraught, and wouldn't believe me that he could go back to his room and pray and it would be just the same. Dallin's quote of the week is, "Well, when can I have a girl in my bed?" (In response to Trista sleeping in Alexis' bed instead of her crib one night.)

Finally we have Trista. Trista is so happy, fun, and good natured. Everywhere we go (the gym, the babysitter, the nursery at church) people are awed and amazed at how good and happy she is. I'd like to take credit and think that it's because I'm such an impeccable mother, but sadly I don't think that's the case. She's just been an impeccable baby (and toddler). She's finally starting to talk more. She says "tan to" (thank you), uh huh, Tih Ta (Trista), and our favorite "I do!" The whole family goes around asking question after question--"Who wants a drink?"
"I do!"
"Who's cute?"
"I do!"
"Who has a stinky bum?"
"I do!"

Sometimes you don't even have to ask a question. Lately she's been eating a TON (she must be having a growth spurt), so everytime I mention a meal or I'm in the kitchen getting something out of the cabinet she just pipes up--"I DO!" We love it! And we love her!

I'm still working and being Mom. I'm looking forward to my two trip this spring. In March I'm going to meet a friend in St. George for four days of "girl time." We're going to go to the spa, have some tennis lessons, go to a show, eat good food, shop, and whatever else we want to do--KID FREE! I'm actually really getting spoiled, because then in May I'm going down to see Angie in Costa Rica for about 10 days--by myself again! Speaking of all this girl time--I've been wanting to post this picture of Angie and I with some friends we got together with at Christmas. Aren't girlfriends (and sisters) the best?

3 comments:

Carley said...

Congrats to Jordan. Alexis keep up the piano lessons, that is a wonderful talent to have. Spencer, you don't need a credit card, you're way to young and they aren't the best things anyway. Dallin, no girls allowed, you're too young for that! But you're such a sweet boy. Trista, you're too cute and such a wonderful little girl. Vicky, you're a great mom and it shows in your kids. Keep up the good work. Miss you guys!

Rebecca said...

Funny comments. Where does Spencer come up with these things? He has a thing with money (wanting to be bum??!). Cute, cute :)

Ingrid said...

Vicky, you have such a cute family! What a sweet gesture of Jordan to give you so much vacation time!!!

And yes, Alexis, keep up with the piano! It is challenging, but SO worth it. Trista sounds like a gem, and your boys must take after Jordan...righteous and witty. :)