Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Little Red Hen, a Toy Story, and Other Fables

School's in, we're back in the swing of things, and all the kids are well again (knock on wood!). Alexis is enjoying first grade, Spencer loves kindergarten--especially since his best friend Josh is in his class, Jordan and I started taking a tennis class together, and Dallin and Trista are enjoying their "school" day (Mother's Day Out) on Thursdays. Life is good!
The Little Red Hen
As you can see I've included a few pictures of the kids cleaning the bathroom. The first shows how Alexis really feels about cleaning the bathroom. In the second she's hamming it up for the camera. Anyway, I've been trying to make sure the kids learn that part of being a family is helping take care of our home. Each morning before school they must make their bed and clean their room. And on Fridays they sometimes have extra chores like vacuuming or helping clean the bathrooms. We also try to teach them about money and tithing by giving them an allowance. Every week each child gets one quarter for each year of their age.

A couple weeks ago I was preparing dinner when Alexis came into the kitchen. The conversation that followed went something like this:

Vicky: "Alexis, can you please set the table for dinner? We're almost ready to eat."

Alexis: "Why do I have to do it? I have to do everything, etc., etc."

Vicky: "Because you're part of this family, and being part of a family means we all have to help out. If you want to be able to eat as part of this family you need to help by setting the table."

Alexis: "Do you mean like the Little Red Hen?"

Vicky: "Yes. In the Little Red Hen the duck, the dog, and the cat all refused to help make the bread, so none of them got to eat it."

Alexis: "But the Little Red Hen's children didn't have to help, and they got to eat the bread!"

Vicky: "How do you know?"

Alexis: "Because, Mom, I read the book."

At this point I stopped in my tracks and quickly went over the story in my mind. It was all I could do not to laugh. She was right, darn it! The Little Red Hen's chicks didn't have to help--she made the bread herself and then called them to eat it with her. How did Alexis get to be so smart? And how could I be so dumb? Do you know how many times, when I didn't want to do something around the house, my mom brought up the story of the Little Red Hen? And did I ever think about the fact that the chicks didn't help? No, never!! So, all you parents out there, this is a warning to you--you're children are probably smarter than you are. Be careful what you say or you may end up fumbling and saying something dumb like:

Vicky: "Yeah, well, uh, this isn't the Little Red Hen and, uh, her chicks were probably spoiled and no one liked them, and, uh, you just need to set the table anyway."

Toy Story
I'm starting a new job next week! I'll be working for Maybelline, about 15 to 20 hours a week, visiting stores (mostly Wal-Mart) to make sure the Maybelline and Garnier products are stocked and displayed correctly. Most of the stores are pretty close, but a few times each month I'll have to travel about 280 miles round-trip. That's a lot of driving, but these days time alone in the car is like a vacation! And I'll be getting paid to rock out to the radio--one of my favorite things to do anyway!

Last week as we were driving I was explaining to the kids that I got a job and what I'd be doing. I told them that I get to work with cosmetics and that I'll even get free stuff sometimes. Alexis was excited about this and asked if that meant she could have some new lip gloss. Spencer was less impressed, and after thinking about it for moment he said, "Hey Mom, why don't you just quit that job and get a different one working with toys. Then we could get a lot of free toys instead!" Now, why didn't I think of that?

Other Fables
Just kidding--I have no other stories to tell today. But I will include one more picture of my Dad and Trista. We've been able to spend a lot of time with my parents lately and are planning a trip to Silver Dollar City together soon. Maybe I'll take some pictures...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love Alexis's face in the first bathroom cleaning picture. I loved the "Little Red Hen" story. I also like the picture of Dad & Trista. And your picture is nice too. Thanks for making me laugh today!

Carley said...

Great blog, I laughed alot. Kids sure are smart aren't they. Wow, dad has teeth! I knew he looked different!