Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

I haven't blogged for a while, so I thought I'd write a little about what I've been up to. September was a busy, yet relaxing month--I guess most days seem more relaxing now that I'm not working.

Becca came to visit near the beginning of September for her 10-year reunion, and she ended up deciding to stay with me a couple extra weeks since Brad was on a very busy rotation. It was nice having her company. We played some tennis, a lot of rummy, and way too much policeman. By policeman I mean that we had to spend a good deal of time tearing Trista and Jacob apart. Everything was great at the beginning, but after a day or two Trista starting getting very territorial and mean and would try to hurt Jacob whenever he got in her way, had one of her toys, or even breathed. Poor Jacob! Several times she left claw/scratch marks on his little cheeks and nose. By the end of the visit Jacob was very good at fighting back or even just walking up to Trista and hitting her for no reason, as she had done to him many times. Sorry for teaching him bad things, Becca--I hope he doesn't start doing that to his friends at home!

Jacob and Trista during one of their rare moments of getting along

Trista, Dallin, Jacob, and Spencer in the bathtub. Of course, Alexis had to be in the picture too!

Jacob, eating a cookie and donning Spencer's vest--a hand-me-down from Spencer's other cousin, Braden. While he was here, Jacob really took a liking to Spencer. The first thing Jacob would ask for when he woke up in the morning was "Fencer."

So now that Becca is gone I've been trying to buckle down and get some sewing done. I've haven't sewn anything for a few years, haven't really wanted to, but I decided to sew Alexis a dress (actually a skirt and shirt) for her baptism this month. Of course I chose a pattern that wasn't the simplist--a tiered skirt with gathers, shirt with gathered sleaves, etc. So far I have it cut out but haven't actually begun sewing.

As if that wasn't enough, a few weeks ago the kids and I were talking about Halloween and I came up with the wonderful idea of sewing costumes for the whole family to wear for Halloween this year. Jordan and I have never dressed up with the kids before, and we've never had a family theme, but last year several families at our church Halloween party wore themed costumes so I thought it would be fun to join in. I'm not letting the cat out of the bag as to what we're planning to dress up as yet--you'll have to check back later for pictures (that is if I actually complete Alexis' outfit and six costumes in the next 24 days!). Ugghhh! What have I gotten myself into?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such a fun trip I had too. So far, we haven't had any incidents with other kids and Jacob. Good luck on all that sewing. If I had any idea on how to sew, I'd be willing to help, but alas, I don't even own a sewing machine!

Sabrina said...

haha...soon you will be sewing in your dreaming if you accomplish what you want. good luck!